Moreton Island is located 40km offshore from Brisbane in Moreton Bay. You can travel to the island by ferry, barge or private boat.
Micat ferry times and bookings are online at www.moretonislandadventures.com.au or phone (07) 3909 3333 or 0427 623 489.
4WD vehicles only
- As Moreton Island is a sand Island (3rd largest in the world) the only vehicles that operate on the Island are Four-wheel-drives (4WD).
- Four-wheel-drives with high clearance and low range function are strongly recommended.
- It is not recommended to bring an All-Wheel Drive vehicle across as they are too low for proper clearance of the tracks and in soft sand.
- You will also need a Vehicle Access Permit to drive a vehicle on Moreton Island, available through Queensland National Parks on 13 74 68.
- Normal road rules apply, vehicles and drivers must be licensed.
- A 4WD is required for all properties in Cowan Cowan and Bulwer.
- For properties at Tangalooma, any of the Beachfront Villas and Deep Blue apartments are accessible by foot from the Tangalooma Resort Passenger Launch.
- All other Tangalooma properties on the hill are better accessed by your own 4WD, however, a shuttle can be arranged in advance with Tanglooma Resort Reception (fee applies).
- Currently only Hilltop Haven and Sahara Blue offer buggy hire (additional cost).
Bringing a 4WD
- The Micat vehicle and passenger ferry leaves from 14 Howard Smith Drive, Lytton at the Port of Brisbane to the Tangalooma Wrecks (2km north of Tangalooma) and is the only vehicle ferry operating between Brisbane and Tangalooma, so early bookings are essential.
- Telephone (07) 3909 3333 or 0427 623 489.
- Online bookings and more information www.moretonislandadventures.com.au.
No 4WD? A foot passenger ferry is also available.
- If you will not be bringing a 4WD vehicle to the Island you will need to catch the Tangalooma Resort Passenger Launch which departs from Holt Street Wharf, 220 Holt St, Pinkenba and travels to the Tangalooma Resort Jetty at least twice daily.
- Travelling time is just 75 minutes each way.
- Launch transfers currently cost $84 per adult and $46 per child return for Tangalooma guests. A gated car park is available at Holt Street Wharf with parking charged at $15 per day or $60 per week.
- Bookings are essential. Phone Tangalooma Resort Passenger Launch reservations (07) 3637 2000 or 1300 652 250 within Australia.